Friday, July 5, 2013

Strawberries

We have a small strawberry patch where we get enough berries for fresh eating mostly.  A few days ago, I made a strawberry-rhubarb pie, using those berries and some rhubarb that I froze last month. 




It tasted good, but was sort of runny. 


 
 
I guess I'll have to try a different recipe next time.  I did find one that uses tapioca, so I may try that.


Because I wanted more than what our patch provides, I went to a local pick-your-own strawberry patch and picked three ice cream pails full, about 15 pounds for $17.00.  Not too bad for less than an hour of picking.



These are so good!  We ate a few fresh, but most of them went in the freezer for smoothies and shortcake next winter.  If I get ambitious enough, I may go pick a few more in the next couple of days.

We have started a complete revamp of our chicken coop.  It has needed a lot of work, and now that we're between chickens, it seemed like a good time to get it done.  I'll post pictures later of before and afters.







No comments:

Post a Comment