Life has been very busy lately, but I have managed to make some good progress on that messy garden area.
Now the Baptisia is no longer competing with a tangle of weeds. The pink geranium in the lower foreground was lost in weeds, and I was surprised to see it not only still surviving but blooming as well.
The iris are not crowded anymore. There are still a couple of small oak seedlings growing in here. I hate to just cut them off, but I don't know if they would survive being dug up and transplanted. I may try it though. The blue in the background is a sheet. I didn't put mulch over it because I want the weeds to die out and then I'll put down mulch after I plant some flowers in that area.
You can tell that there is still a lot of work to do, but I am pleased with the progress so far.