Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Garden in Late June

Due to a late spring and lots of rain, our vegetable garden got planted a bit later than normal.  Things are starting to grow well, but just not as big as in other years.  But now with the very warm weather, they'll grow like crazy--just like the weeds.


We had some lettuce a couple of days ago, and it was delicious.  I wish there was a way to preserve it so we could eat it through the winter too.




Peas, with corn in the background.




A few of the tomato plants, some of which have blossoms already.



 
 Two rows of potatoes.  We have about 6 or 7 more rows.  We like potatoes, fixed almost any way.



More peas growing up the fence which surrounds the broccoli and Brussels sprouts.  We love Brussels sprouts and used to have no problem growing them, but the past couple of years they've not done well.

The vegetable garden is mainly Mr. M's domain.  Now that he's retired, he has acquired an interest in gardening.  He decides what to plant and where to plant.  I help a bit with the planting, but not much with weeding.  We both harvest the vegetables, and he helps me with the canning/freezing.  I used to do all of it, but now I'd rather spend my gardening time taking care of flowers.  So it works quite well for both of us.




We also have four grape vines.  This year, if all the grapes develop, we'll have lots to make juice and jelly.



And now, here are a few flowers to show you.
 
This is a Baptisia (false indigo).  The flowers look like sweetpeas.




A Siberian iris.  These are so beautiful and more delicate looking than bearded iris.



 
Another Siberian iris in pink.



 
This is a species of Campanula.  These plants are so pretty, but almost like weeds, so you have to be careful that they don't take over the garden.



Last, but certainly not least, one of the peonies in my garden.


I gave up growing annuals many years ago.  They are pretty, and can be very colorful, but too much work.  Now I only plant perennials, and since my flower gardens are fairly well established, I only add a couple of new plants a year.  I mostly just divide the ones I already have and put them in new locations.


No comments:

Post a Comment