Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Canning Venison

We spent the past couple of days doing some "winter" canning.  Mr. M got a nice deer right at the end of doe season, which is after the regular season.  When he cut it up, we got several steaks (tenderloin, sirloin, and round) which we put in the freezer, and the rest we cut into chunks to be canned. 




These canned chunks work very well for stew, soup, or hotdishes.  It makes supper very quick and easy to do when the meat is already cooked.


Since I already had all the canning equipment out, I decided to thaw some packages of chicken broth and beef broth that I had put in the freezer earlier in the fall when I didn't have the time (or inclination) to can it.



I haven't kept or canned chicken or beef broth before, but I was interested in having broths that have no other ingredients except the broth itself.  Once the canning is done, these jars of broth are just as convenient to use as what you'd buy from the store, and much healthier.







This post was also shared on "Wildcrafting Wednesday."http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2012/12/wildcrafting-wednesday-2.html

 
 

3 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing! I love venison :) I would also love it if you shared this on Wildcrafting Wednesday tomorrow on my blog:
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by my blog and inviting me to participate in Wildcrafting Wednesday. I just did that.

      Delete
  2. :( This year we finally bought a home, Son,and I was hunting where we was renting, this will be the first year not to hunt since he was 4 (He just turned 16) :(

    Blessings,Renee

    ReplyDelete