Saturday, August 16, 2014

Beginning of Canning Season

Now that it's mid-August, the time has come to get the canning supplies out.  I picked some beets this morning and canned them this afternoon.



We started with 6 pints, but one ended up with a hairline crack in it so I threw it out.


I also dug some carrots.  Something has been eating the tops, so I thought I'd get them out of the garden before they were completely gone.

These are called Red Dragon, red on the outside and orange on the inside.


Some regular orange carrots with one that is kind of yellowish--not sure where that came from.  I don't think we planted seeds for yellow carrots.

Mr. M dug the row of red potatoes today and a row of Yukon Gold a couple of days ago.  I forgot to take a picture before they went in the cold room.


While I was in the kitchen, I also made a batch of yogurt.  I haven't made any for probably 30 years, but wanted to try it again. 



We've been having some great August weather lately.  It's nice to be able to walk barefoot in the grass whenever possible in the summer; it's something I love to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment