Friday, August 16, 2013

Canning Peaches

Every summer for the past several years, I've bought Georgia peaches from the Tree-Ripe Citrus people.  They bring them in refrigerated tractor-trailers to many cities in Wisconsin as well as parts of Minnesota and Illinois.  The peaches are the best I've ever tasted.  I envy those of you in the south who are able to actually grow them; here in the north we have trouble growing them, if we can at all.

So, this time I bought two boxes, and have been busy canning most of them.


Here are some after putting in boiling water for about 60 seconds and immediately putting in cold water.


After removing the skin and slicing; ready to be put into jars and then water-bathed for 25 minutes.



Some people remove the reddish part from around the pit, but I like leaving it because it gives the canned peaches a bit of a rosy color.




And on the pantry shelf ready for winter eating.



We have also been eating them fresh, and I made a peach cobbler, but these canned peaches will really taste good next winter just as is or in a peach shortcake or whatever else I make with them.





2 comments:

  1. Love peaches and canning is lots of work but well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right; it's a nice feeling seeing those jars on the shelf.

      Delete