Thursday, September 20, 2012

Grinding Grain

I've been wanting to get a grain mill for some time and have checked on a few different ones.  What I discovered a couple of weeks ago is that a grain mill is one of the attachments for a KitchenAid stand mixer.  I have owned the mixer for at least 10-12 years and never realized that; possibly because I was never interested before.

So, I ordered one, and it came at the end of last week. 



While my friend from up north was here, we ground a bit of wheat berries and made pancakes.  They were very good.  Today I'm making bread with flour I ground a few hours ago.




This grain mill may not be as powerful as some of the more expensive ones, but so far it seems to do just fine.  What we did discover, though, is that it works much easier and faster to put the grain through on "coarse" first, then put it through again on "fine".  That way it takes just a few minutes to do enough for a few loaves of bread.




I have some hard white wheat berries which work well for yeasted breads.  I believe I read that the soft winter wheat is best for non-yeasted baking.  I'll have to do a bit more research on that because I'm definitely interested in grinding grain for other baked goods as well.

You just can't believe how excited I am about this purchase!  One of the best buys I've made in a long time.


No comments:

Post a Comment