Friday, July 20, 2012

Saving money on electricity

I was reading on another blog about how that family is trying to use less electricity, so I thought I'd list some of the alternative things we do here at Meadowcreek.

---I really enjoy hanging clothes outside to dry in nice weather (they smell so nice and fresh), so I
    haven't used a dryer since 1999; in fact, I haven't owned one since 2004.  In winter, I hang clothes
    on a clothesrack and on lines strung in the basement.

---We have never owned a dishwasher and have no desire to own one.  Washing dishes by hand is
    easy and a perfect time to look out the window to watch the birds at the feeders.

---We do own a microwave, but use it only to reheat leftovers.  I would like to get rid of it eventually.

---We do not have central air, just one window air conditioner that we use when the temps get above
     90 degrees outside, which normally (and thankfully) doesn't happen often in our neck of the
     woods.

---Most of our floors are hardwood (except for the laundry room and one bathroom), so no vacuum is
    needed.  I love wood floors; they are beautiful and easy to care for.

---We also don't own many electric kitchen "gadgets", more out of choice than out of trying not to use
     electricity.  I've used a hand can opener for as long as I can remember, and it's never been a
     problem. 

Don't get me wrong; I have nothing against using electricity--it is an amazingly useful part of life, and we use it in many ways.  We have absolutely no plans to go "off-grid", but these few things help to save money on our electric bill and really present no hardship to us at all.  If I had to live without an electric water heater, my sewing machine, or any number of other electric "appliances", I am sure I would not enjoy that.  I just use non-electric alternatives when it is enjoyable for me to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment