Wednesday, October 16, 2013

New Sewing Machine

About three or four months ago, I was able to buy a new sewing machine.  I've had a Viking Lily for close to 15 years.  It has been a very good machine, but I wanted one with a bigger throat area.  I spent about a year and a half researching different brands--looking on quilt forums and talking to company reps at quilt shows. 

At the beginning of this search, I was pretty sure I wanted another Viking.  However, over time I heard nothing but positive comments about Janome.  There happens to be a Janome dealer here in town; he is the person I've taken my machines to for cleaning and maintenance as well as any repairs needed.  My mom used to take her Elna to him for servicing also.  He does a great job. 

So in the end, I decided on a Janome Horizon 8900QCP and have no regrets at all.  It is a fantastic machine!



Some of the features I especially like are the needle threader (my eyes don't work as well as they used to, so this is very nice), the thread cutter (which is also a big thread saver), and the exterior spool holder.  The foot pedal is extra wide, there are two needle plates that are so easy to change, and the machine has 4 or 5 lights to make sewing and quilting much easier.  The acrylic extension table came with it, and after using this I would never want to be without one again.  The extra space and support it gives are wonderful. 



After working on an almost king-size quilt, the thing I really love about this sewing machine is the 11 inch throat area.  It allowed me to do the quilting with basically no struggle.  In this picture, I am working on the outer border, but even when I was quilting in the middle of the quilt, the large throat area made it much easier than the 7 inch on my Viking.  I would never have attempted to quilt something so large on that machine.  The extra 4 inches on this one makes a huge difference.

There is also a knee lift, which I'm just beginning to use.  There are so many more features that I haven't even had time to explore yet.  The cost of this sewing machine was a bit higher than I originally wanted to pay, but I am so glad I didn't settle for anything less than what I really wanted.

As you can tell, I am happy, happy, happy with this new sewing machine!


I am linking up with http://www.sewmamasew.com/2013/10/sewing-machine-reviews

and also with http://sewmanyways.blogspot.com/2013/10/find-friend-friday-and-ask-world_18.html




7 comments:

  1. Congrats on your new sewing machine! Looks like you are already enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am! Like it very much. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. I am finally replacing my 35 yr old Viking with this machine. I was hoping Santa would bring me the Janome 6500 but was thrilled when he got me this bigger machine! I have figured out most basic procedures without watching the DVD yet. I even stiched my granddaughters name on something this week. Do you use the automatic thread cutter? I like the concept, but then it was hard to pull the threads out so I had a tail for my next sewing. I hope you will post things you have learned about this machine. I notice in the picture you have something to hold your thread. Did you buy that seperate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like your new machine. Yes, I do use the automatic thread cutter. I'm not crazy about those really short threads, but so far I still like to use the cutter. The thread holder is something that the dealer included at no cost (as well as extra bobbins and a stitch in the ditch foot) when I bought the machine. I've used it, but not all the time.

      Delete
  3. The detailed manual and YouTube videos won't leave you in a lurch even if you run into a problem while sewing at 2 o'clock in the morning. Best computerized sewing machine to buy online in India

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheap Sewing Machines You made such an interesting piece to read, giving every subject enlightenment for us to gain knowledge. Thanks for sharing the such information with us to read this...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome article! I want people to know just how good this information is in your article. It’s interesting, compelling content. Your views are much like my own concerning this subject. embroidery machine

    ReplyDelete